Saturday, August 15, 2015

CRAIG EDWARD KELSO, Extraordinary Belief

Manchester Hyatt -- my favorite building downtown

Written March of 2011.


It’s as desperate a moment as when the Alicia Nash character, played by Jennifer Connelly in A Beautiful Mind, reaches up to John Nash’s face and pleads, I need to believe … that something extraordinary is possible

Her acting in that scene is so heartfelt, and I couldn’t stop focusing on her left hand holding his right hand to her breast. 

She sells the pain of a partner TRYING to understand the most significant person in her life.

Her love for him kept him alive, ultimately.

Subtle.

I am there in my life at this point. I need to believe in the extraordinary. Not the supernatural. Not the make-believe.

What IS extraordinary in my life are the people close to me. These are strong people. 

You simply HAVE to be an incredibly confident person to be my friend, to be in my life. You have to know your place in the world. You have to have a purposeful view of relationships. You can in NO WAY be swayed by outside forces – legal, societal, or otherwise. Being associated with me in ANY WAY is a liability. People will judge YOU for knowing me, for having anything to do with me. And if you’re the least bit friendly TO me, well, you’re IN for it, bub. 

This experience has taught me ever so much, and principal among the lessons is the idea of loyalty. A loyal friend is something on the order of an angel. No, I don’t believe in angels. But the idea as an archetype does fit what I mean here. The people who remain around me are angels of a kind, some lesser, some greater, but angels all. They still see SOME good in me, for whatever reason, something of value. And though I pride myself, probably incorrectly, on not caring what ANYONE thinks about me, I have to admit having their friendships, in all the various forms, keeps me grounded.

To those who refuse to leave, who refuse to give up, I cherish your friendship. It is the extraordinary I crave, and I am learning, slowly, to appreciate you as the years go on. Calling me, taking my call, checking up on me, and taking an interest in my general welfare – those aspects of interaction I never considered very important. Until this mess. I now understand.

Crazy how it took the destruction of all I built and loved … to allow me to see the extraordinary.

And I mean it.

checalaloskelsos@gmail.com
  
Craig Edward Kelso is the author of Anarcho-Capitalism (2014), a primer on the philosophy of peaceful, stateless cooperation. His curriculum vitae include a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from San Diego State University, and a Post-Baccalaureate secondary education credential in both Social Science and English Language Arts. Kelso taught for nearly a decade in the American public school system, and was voted by colleagues Teacher of the Year, twice in his short tenure, earning numerous accolades from chambers of commerce, mayors, state assembly persons, governors, congresspersons, senators, and even Wal-Mart. Currently he struggles to earn an opportunity to be employed, working as a laborer, dishwasher. He is deliriously happily married to Myra Kelso, living in Southern California with their adorable children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment